Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Emotions and People


In our lives, we experience a variety of emotions daily. Contentment, happiness, anger, frustration, grief, indifference, lethargy, tension, and so many more. How do you feel today? Right now I feel tired from coming home from school, hungry after seeing my leftover Spicy Chicken Sandwich in my bag, happy with my parents for their constant moral support, and hurt and embarrassed by an encounter I experienced at school today. Instead of going into detail, I will generally say that in expressing my opinion in a humorous and creative way, someone took offense when none was intended, and not even implied. After talking about it with my parents, I began to think about how the actions of other people influence our emotions. Living among society, it is almost impossible to rely solely on oneself to determine their own mood. Although some people may try to convince you that they don't care what others think about them, the truth is that in all of us, there is an underlying sensitivity to the way others perceive us. Call it ego, call it pride, but I think it is simply human nature. Our social interactions with one another can dictate our feelings, and consequently our actions, which may have any type of result. I'm not sure if I'm making sense. Let's take Billy for example. Billy is a 14 year old boy, new to high school and in the early stages of --dare I say it?--puberty. With his raging hormones, Billy has started to notice how Katy from down the street doesn't wear pigtails and beg for popsicles the way she used to. Instead, she's grown into a young woman. So Billy decides to ask her out on a date. Katy, on the other hand, has never noticed how Billy gels his hair now, and wears clean shirts. Taken off guard, she turns Billy down with a quick explanation about how she she sees him as Billy from down the street, and not someone she would consider dating. In his rejection, Billy then insists on people calling him William, and begins to wear a tie to school and carry a briefcase instead of a backpack. Every decision Billy makes is based on whether or not he will seem immature and consequently, he has completely altered his true personality. Okay, maybe this example was too drawn out and a little dramatic, but do you see what I mean? A few simple words completely crushed Billy's confidence, just like a simple misunderstanding on someone's part made me question my abilities. As teenagers with plenty of outside pressures and influences (you know the list: college, parents, friends, boyfriends and girlfriends, etc.) we can become very fragile and almost dependent on the approval of others. So as a resolution, I will try to be more careful about what I say, including the jokes I make that may be hurtful towards others. If I take this small step of thinking about what I will say before I let the words off my tongue, I may save someone's mood from being ruined, or their self-esteem lowered. I might even change someone's sadness or annoyance into pleasure or enthusiasm. To me, by affecting one's emotions, I am capable of changing their life. That's the way I see it.

4 comments:

Rubina said...

Nothing I tell you should hurt your feelings, were just that close. And vice versa...

See ya later fat cat.

Alyssa said...

Thanks Rubina, I actually was not referring to anything between us. What are your thoughts on emotions affecting people?

Nina said...

I am so glad you learned such a valuable lesson from this encounter. Honestly, I believe we are all connected by a single soul and so when we say something negative, it reverts to us and that is why making the change to be positive will create a different world for you where you will be surrounded by happy people as you are seen as someone who will bring happy energy when you make an entrance. I can see and feel that change in you!

Nina said...

I am so glad you learned such a valuable lesson from this encounter. Honestly, I believe we are all connected by a single soul and so when we say something negative, it reverts to us and that is why making the change to be positive will create a different world for you where you will be surrounded by happy people as you are seen as someone who will bring happy energy when you make an entrance. I can see and feel that change in you!